Independent Living Center is seeking a Housing Specialist for a new statewide pilot program to provide housing subsidies to individuals transitioning or diverting from institutional settings to the community. The Olmstead Housing Subsidy (OHS) program is a project of the New York Association on Independent Living funded by the NYS Department of Health. The Housing Specialist will report to the Director of Independent Living Center and will work collaboratively with the Olmstead Housing Subsidy.
- Assist eligible Olmstead Housing Subsidy participants through all steps necessary for enrollment, including: filling out housing applications, obtaining household goods and/or support for moving expenses, arranging unit inspections, etc.
- Work with applicants and/or his/her Transition Specialist, Service Coordinator (SC), Nursing Home Discharge Planner, Care Manager (CM), natural support, or advocate in order to ensure that a support services plan is in place for program enrollment.
- Conduct follow-up after subsidy is initiated including but not limited to verifying occupancy of unit and continued eligibility for program.
- Work to identify landlords, public housing, and private housing in the region which may be suitable for individuals enrolled in the OHS program in the future.
- Maintain a list of available housing in the region, including degree of accessibility, location, proximity to services, and rental costs.
- Track and report on all activities using the statewide database.
Minimum of a Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential duties of the position may be substituted.
Excellent written, verbal communication, interpersonal, organizational, and computer skills.
Professional experience in housing, community organizing, Independent Living, long term care, and/or disability rights.
Knowledge of state and local housing policies, practices, laws and issues impacting seniors and people with disabilities preferred
Location/Region: Staten Island